Ag’wanermiut Liitut means ‘we are learning’ in Alutiiq. The Native Village of Afognak (NVA), located in Kodiak, AK, generously sponsors this annual award of $1500 for two students that are enrolled into NVA.
- Must be an enrolled member of the Native Village of Afognak
- Must be a high school graduate or GED equivalent by June 30 of application year.
- Be accepted to or attending an accredited vocational or college program.
- Must have and maintain a minimum of a 2.5 GPA or equivalent and make satisfactory academic progress as defined by the institution.
- Preference given to first-time degree-seeking and vocational students.
- Must meet all other KEF eligibility requirements
- Provide proof of enrollment
- One letter of recommendation
- Most recent high school or college transcripts
- Recent resume
- Recent headshot photo
Special Essay Requirements:
The Native Village of Afognak Ag’wanermiut Liitut Award requires a two-part essay. (500 word minimum)
1) Include a description of your:
a) Personal and family history and how you or your family is connected to the Native Village of Afognak, b) Community and/or family involvement
c) Volunteer activities/awards
d) Educational and career goals
e) How would receiving this award impact you?
2) Select and answer one of the following three questions:
- What does Afognak mean to you?
- What does education mean to you?
- What does community mean to you?
*KEF offers merit-based scholarships to Koniag Shareholders and Descendants. These scholarships are competitive and are scored for completeness by an independent scholarship review committee. Applications must be postmarked or time-stamped by deadline.
**Because KEF is a private nonprofit, IRS regulations require that all scholarship funds must be sent directly to the institute where training is taking place.