KEF Eligibility Requirements
KEF offers merit-based scholarships to Koniag Shareholders and registered Descendants. These scholarships are competitive and are scored by an independent scholarship review committee. GPA requirements vary by award and must be met to be considered eligible for award. Applications must be submitted by the posted deadline. Awarded funds are disbursed directly to the university/program, and cannot be applied to accounts in arrears. Award amounts may vary depending on availability of funds.
- Current minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of a 2.5 or equivalent for KEF General.
- Full-time undergraduate students must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credits/4 classes per term.
- Part-time undergraduate students must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits/2 classes per term.
- Graduate students are deemed as a part-time, three-quarter time, or full-time according to individual university requirements and specifications.
- Must have attained high school diploma or GED by June 30 of application year.
- Members of the KEF Board of Directors and their immediate family members are not eligible to apply for KEF scholarships and grants.
- Must be in good standing with KEF’s other scholarship programs.
- Scholarships administered on behalf of our partners have additional eligibility requirements which are detailed in the description of each award.
All applicants must be Koniag Shareholders or registered Descendants. Descendants must have an approved shareholder descendant database application submitted and approved by Koniag’s Shareholder Records Manager prior to any disbursement of award. Please see form for details. For more information regarding the Descendant Database Form and enrollment shareholder ID’s, please e-mail shareholderrecords(at)koniag.com or call (800) 658-3818.
The Shareholder Descendant Database Application can be found here.
Because KEF is a private nonprofit, IRS regulations require that all scholarship, vocational, and career development funds must be sent directly to the institute where training is taking place.
How to apply
Applications are completed and submitted online for review. In just a few easy steps, applications can be completed and submitted for review. If you don’t have time to complete the application in one sitting, you can simply save it and go back to it when you are ready. Have questions? Call or email us at (907) 562-9093 or email@example.com.
To apply, click here and press the green “Register” button. If you have made a previous student account but can’t log in, please call or email us to reactivate your account.
Applicant portal information is now part of the application process as a common form. This allows KEF to keep your personal contact information, school, and financial aid information all up to date. If you need to make any changes, please do so when beginning a new application, or by emailing our Scholarship Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org. Updating your account on a regular basis helps ensure that you receive KEF correspondence and that your scholarship disbursements are processed correctly and arrive at your school on time.
Scholarship Information & Deadlines
(Click on each scholarship for more information)
- Koniag Angayuk (partner) Scholarship/Internship
Open November 15, Closes March 15 annually
- Alyeska Pipeline Service Co. – No application needed. Awarded to top scoring students in degree area.
- Native Village of Afognak (NVA) Ag’wanermiut Liitut – For students enrolled with NVA.
Open March 1, Closes June 1 annually
- Native Village of Port Lions (NVPL) Rhea Mae Knagin Scholarship – For students enrolled with NVOPL attending a school in the state of Alaska.
Open March 1, Closes June 1 annually
- KEF General Scholarship – For degree seeking undergraduate and graduate students
Open December 15, Due March 15 annually.
- NEW! Spring Only Scholarship – For degree seeking students who missed the deadline or are only attending the spring 2022 term.
Open August 1, 2022, Due October 31, 2022 annually.
- NEW! KEF Step-Up Scholarship –
For students who do not currently meet the 2.5 cumulative GPA requirement.
Coincides with both KEF General and KEF Spring only deadlines.
The following scholarships will be awarded to the students who have the highest combined KEF General Application and GPA scores. The students who qualify will be identified by KEF and notified individually. No additional application is necessary. Click on each scholarship for more information.
- Brent Parsons Memorial Scholarship – Finance and/or Accounting
- Glenn Godfrey Leadership Scholarship – Civic Duty/Community Service
- Larry Matfay Cultural Scholarship – Alutiiq Culture; Anthropology
- Magnel Larsen Drabek Memorial Scholarship – Education, Arts, or Culture
Career & Vocational
No Deadline: (Funding replenishes April 1 each year)