KEF Eligibility Requirements
KEF offers merit-based scholarships to Koniag, Incorporated shareholders and registered descendants. These scholarships are competitive and are scored by an independent scholarship review committee. GPA requirements vary by award and must be met to be considered eligible for award. Applications must be submitted by the posted deadline. Awarded funds are disbursed directly to the university/program, and cannot be applied to accounts in arrears. Award amounts may vary depending on availability of funds.
- Current minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) of a 2.5 or equivalent for KEF General; 3.0 for KEF Special Scholarships.
- Full-time undergraduate students must be enrolled in a minimum of 12 credits/4 classes per term; graduate students must be deemed as a full-time student according to individual university requirement.
- Part-time undergraduate students must be enrolled in a minimum of 6 credits/2 classes per term; graduate students must be deemed as a part-time student according to individual university requirements.
- Must have attained high school diploma or GED by May 31 of application year.
- Must meet all other KEF eligibility requirements and be in good standing with KEF’s other scholarship programs.
Special Scholarships have additional requirements for field of study which must be met. Scholarships administered on behalf of our partners have additional eligibility requirements which are detailed in the description of each award.
All applicants must be Koniag, Incorporated shareholders or descendants. Descendants must have an approved shareholder descendant database application submitted and approved by Koniag, Incorporated’s Shareholder Records Manager prior to any disbursement of award. Please see form for details. For more information regarding the Descendant Database Form and enrollment shareholder ID’s, please e-mail shareholderrecords(at)koniag.com or call (800) 658-3818.
The Shareholder Descendant Database Application can be found here.
Because KEF is a private nonprofit, IRS regulations require that all scholarship, vocational, and career development funds must be mailed directly to the institute where training is taking place.
How to apply
Applications are completed and submitted online for review. In just a few easy steps, applications can be completed and submitted for review. If you don’t have time to complete the application in one sitting, you can simply save it and go back to it when you are ready. Have questions? Call or email us at (907) 562-9093 or email@example.com.
Applicant portal information is now part of the application process as a common form. This allows KEF to keep your personal contact information, school, and financial aid information all up to date. If you need to make any changes, please do so when beginning a new application, or by emailing our Scholarship Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org. Updating your account on a regular basis helps ensure that you receive KEF correspondence and that your scholarship disbursements are processed correctly and arrive at your school on time.
Scholarship Information & Deadlines
(Click on each scholarship for more information)
Koniag Angayuk (partner) Scholarship/Internship
Open November 15, Due January 15 annually
Open December 15, Due March 15 annually
Afognak Benefits Trust HEP Scholarship
(for Afognak Native Corporation shareholders only)
Planning to apply for the Afognak Benefits Trust Higher Education Program Scholarship?
Beginning in 2021, that application is being hosted directly on my.afognak.com. If you need assistance creating a profile on my.afognak.com, please contact Afognak Native Corporation Shareholder Services for assistance at email@example.com or (907) 222-9500. The deadline to apply is March 15, 2021.
Open March 1, Due June 1 annually
- Alyeska Pipeline Service Co.
- Brent Parsons Memorial
- Glenn Godfrey
- Larry Matfay
- Magnel Larsen Drabek
- Native Village of Afognak (NVA) Ag’wanermiut Liitut
- Native Village of Port Lions (NVPL) Rhea Mae Knagin Scholarship – EXTENDED UNTIL JUNE 30!
No Deadline: (Funding replenishes April 1 each year)