Scholarship Application Tips
General Application Tips
- Stay Organized! Missing deadlines just by one day could affect your application from being reviewed. Pay attention to application and term transcript deadlines. Mark them on your calendar and/or phone.
- Give yourself plenty of time! Gathering everything you need takes time, and you don’t want your application to look sloppy or incomplete.
- Don’t ignore small awards. Small scholarship awards can add up to a big amount! Plus, the larger the award, the more competition you will face.
- Think ahead! Getting letters of recommendations takes time, getting them early so you have them on hand won’t hurt.
- Write a GREAT essay. Think carefully about the questions being asked and use this opportunity to tell the selection committee things about you not shown elsewhere in the application. Get help with editing for grammar and spelling, but do your own writing—the committee wants to hear from you personally. Tell them ALL about you! Include things about yourself the application hasn’t already touched base with. This is your time to brag about all you’ve accomplished, awards, activities and talents.
- Try, try again! Keep trying even if you don’t win a scholarship right away. Save copies of every application you complete so you don’t have to start from scratch each time.
- NEVER pay for a scholarship search! Organizations which charge for the information, or charge a fee to apply for a scholarship, are likely a scam and should be avoided.
KEF Student Suggestions & Guidelines
- Keep your email and all contact information up to date.
- Add [email protected] to your safe sender list in your email so you don’t miss any announcements or reminders and check it regularly.
- Contact KEF immediately if your attendance changes from full-time to part-time or if you withdraw or want to change schools.
- Reach out for help as soon as you have any issues with classes, grades, health issues etc.
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions, we welcome them!
- Sign up for our monthly newsletter.
- Follow us on Facebook and/or Instagram for the latest scholarship/internship opportunities.
- Show gratitude. Send thank you cards and/or emails to KEF and any other places you receive funding from.
- Be “in the know” about Koniag (www.koniag.com) and who they are and what they offer.
Find More Private Scholarships!
Ask about scholarship opportunities any place where you have a connection such as clubs, societies, fraternal organizations, your places of worship, your/your parents employers and businesses big and small. Be sure and check out KEF’s “Resources” page for more scholarship opportunities!
Need some extra help with your application? Students just like you have submitted the following guides to assist you in successfully completing your scholarship application.