The KEF Vocational award provides funding for non-degree seeking individuals enrolled in an accredited vocational or technical programs and training that are 6 weeks in duration or longer. Vocational Scholarships are merit-based, the amount of the award is dependent on the application score.
Award: Up to $2,500; subject to funding
Deadline: No deadline, ongoing; Please allow up to 4 weeks for processing.
Requirements: Any qualified student who is accepted to or enrolled in an accredited or state or municipally recognized vocational school and:
- Maintains a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.50 or the equivalent.
- Demonstrates how the training will assist student in gaining employment or job security and/ or advancement
- Applicants must be Alaska Native shareholders or descendants (may be adopted) of the Koniag Region.
- All applicants who are not currently enrolled in the Koniag, Inc. descendant or shareholder database must complete the descendant database form and submit the form to Shareholder Relations at Koniag, Inc. Please see form for details. For more information regarding the Descendant Database Form and enrollment shareholder ID’s, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (800) 658-3818.
Required Documents for Vocational Scholarship
The following documents must be submitted by the application deadline for consideration of this scholarship award:
- Essay: In this two-part essay, 1) include a description of your personal and family history, community involvement, volunteer activities, as well as your educational and career goals. (Min. 300 words) and 2) Explain how this education will enhance your ability to find employment and/or improve current employment. (Min. 300 words)
- Proof of program cost: An invoice and/or cost of attendance from the program.
- Recent Resume with employment history, school activities, volunteer/community service, awards/honors, additional education/training, 2 pages maximum.
- 1 Letter of Recommendation: A signed and dated letter of recommendation should be from current/former employer, instructor, mentor, or coach and can not be more than one year old.
- Photo: A recent profile photo of yourself in .jpg, .tiff, or .gif format
Review Process: KEF’s Scholarship Committee reviews and scores all applicant applications. Scores are averaged to determine the amount of the scholarship awarded.