The KEF Vocational award provides funding for Koniag Shareholders and registered Descendants who are non-degree seeking individuals enrolled in an accredited vocational or technical programs and training. Vocational Scholarships are merit-based, the amount of the award is dependent on the application score.
Award: Up to $5,000 per fiscal year; subject to funding.
Deadline: No deadline, ongoing; Please allow up to 4 weeks for processing.
Requirements: Any qualified student who is accepted to or enrolled in an accredited or state or municipally recognized vocational school or program and:
- Maintains a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.50 or the equivalent while in the program.
- Demonstrates how the training will assist student in gaining employment or job security and/ or advancement
- The program must be accredited or meet state or industry standards proof of program completion is required.
Required Documents for Vocational Scholarship
- Essay: In this essay, include 1) a brief family and personal history including how you or your family is connected to Kodiak, 2) educational and career goals, 3) how this class will enhance your ability to find employment and/or improve current employment.
- Proof of program cost: An invoice and/or cost of attendance from the program.
- Recent Resume with employment history, school activities, volunteer/community service, awards/honors, additional education/training, 2 pages maximum.
- 1 Letter of Recommendation (LOR): A LOR from a current/former employer, instructor, mentor or coach, who knows you well and can reflect on your character and potential. The recommender should detail their relationship to you, how long they have known you, and why you would be an ideal candidate for this scholarship. Letters from immediate family members are not accepted. LOR’s must be signed, dated, and not more than one year old.
- Recent headshot photo.
Review Process: KEF’s Scholarship Committee reviews and scores all applicant applications. Scores are averaged to determine the amount of the scholarship awarded.