Rhea Mae Knagin, a founding member of the Native Village of Port Lions, was dedicated to serving her community. In honor and recognition of her service the Native Village of Port Lions Traditional Tribal Council established the Rhea Mae Knagin (RMK) Scholarship. The RMK Scholarship is designed to provide financial support to enrolled members of the Native Village of Port Lions (NVPL), who demonstrate scholastic achievement or interest in furthering their professional career. The RMK Scholarship is administered by Koniag Education Foundation (KEF) and all applications are reviewed by the KEF Scholarship Committee. Applications are scored based on criteria set forth by the Port Lions Traditional Tribal Council. Applications are available beginning March 1st of each year and have a deadline of June 1st.
The RMK Scholarship offers three (3) awards: one (1) award for $1,000.00 – to the applicant receiving the highest total score and two (2) awards for $500.00 each – to two applicants receiving the second and third highest total scores, based on scoring criteria. Checks will be made payable directly to the institution.
Who May Apply
- Applicants must be an enrolled member of the Native Village of Port Lions
- Applicants must be a high school graduate or GED equivalent
- Have a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 2.5
- Plan to attend a university of vocational school in the State of Alaska
- Previous recipients of the Rhea Mae Scholarship are welcome to reapply
1. Completed application – Incomplete applications will automatically be disqualified
2. Short essay describing who you are and your educational goals
3. Proof of tribal enrollment in the Native Village of Port Lions
4. One (1) letter of reference
5. Most recent high school or college transcripts (unofficial transcripts are accepted)
6. Proof of acceptance or letter from school stating you have applied
7. Applicant portrait with signed consent form
*Because KEF is a private nonprofit, IRS regulations require that all scholarship funds must be sent directly to the institute where training is taking place.